October 13, 2010

...Father, If i should suffer need, and go unclothed, and be in poverty, make my heart prize thy love, know it, be constrained by it, though I be denied all blessings, It is thy mercy to afflict and try me with wants, for by these trials I see my sins, and desire severance from them. Let me willingly accept misery, sorrows, tempations, if I an thereby feel sin as the greatest evil, and be delivered from it with gratitude to thee, acknowledging this is as the highest testimony of thy love....When I am afraid of evils to come, comfort me by showing me that in myself I am a dying, condemned wretch, but in christ I am reconciled and live; that in myself I find insufficiency and no rest, but in Christ there is satisfaction and peace; that in myself I am feeble and unable to do good, but in Christ I have ability to do all things. Though now I have graces in part, I shall shortly have them perfectly in that state where thou wilt show thyself fully reconciled, and alone sufficient, efficient, loving me completely, with sin abolished. O Lord, hasten that day.

-Valley of Vision, "Contentment" pg 163 Bennett

No comments: