December 12, 2008

My Top Ten

At this time of Christmas celebrations and many other activities pertaining to the birth of our Great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, I began to think about my top ten things that encourage me to see more of Christ and less of self. I suppose they are my top ten Christ-isms. So here they are in no particular order.

1) Worship music--I am sure that many of you feel the same way, but I am not speaking of experience I am speaking of a true listening to the words that others are singing or that you are singing yourself. That makes me reminded more of the cross and more able and willing to view Christ the way He truly is.

2) Fellowship--Spending time with other believers always encourages me more toward Christ. Can you spend time with other believers and never speak the name of Christ or mention His working or moving in your life? Can you help but show your humanity in laughter, frustration, weeping, or serenity? I cannot. And it is always encouraging to my heart to be among Gods people, not many other things incline my heart more to my God then His people.

3) His Word--I am sure you are thinking okay, yeah yeah, Of course that is the pat answer. But honestly Lately, with His great humbling of me in my own eyes and my convictions growing about avoiding comparisons amongst others, I have truly seen many areas of scripture in a different way then ever before. For example-- I always thought that Solomon was more blessed then David because he was able to see God twice (even though in dreams). I always thought, "Oh Poor David! His sin was so great that He never got to see the Lord," But suddenly I thought in my heart and head--You know what? David didn't NEED to see the Lord. David Believed in God and had GREAT faith. No wonder God held him in such special regard- God never had to appear to David, because his heart was so tender toward the Lord. AMAZING! God didn't appear to David because he was more wicked, but because it wasn't necessary- not because of anything David did, because God was measuring our bountiful grace to David in many areas--Man David was a man after God's own heart and was a great man amongst God's people, I want to be like that! I hope that the reasons I mention His word makes more sense because He is more real and palatable to me then ever before within His word.

(now as an aside I may have missed God's appearing to David at some point, but as far as I remember from my reading of 1&2 Sam and 1&2 Chronicles and 1&2 Kings, God nor the angle of the Lord appears to David--correct me if I am wrong).

4) Reading--For those of you who don't read I am sorry I am mentioning this I do not do so to make you feel like you aren't doing something right, but I am very much aware how God changes my heart and ideas about Himself by reading things written by His people. So many books have changed and moulded my thinking about God in a way I never could have imagined. I highly recommend reading so many godly authors that are out there, from our current era and many past ones.

5) Preaching--I haven't been able to hear my husband's preaching a lot lately (my boys are kind of distracting to me at times so my intake is choppy.) but it always encourages me to see the Lord more clearly when hearing and feeling the conviction of the word. Also a lot of online sermons and messages are great and are a help.

6) Teaching--I have been visiting the various classes at our church of late and have just been so blessed by the teaching that goes on every Sunday in Sunday schools. I am so encouraged to think more on Christ and His cross through our Sunday school teachers and the material and reminded of the ways that He is moving and working in my heart and life. Teaching is so beneficial!

7) Service--Okay, so over the last year I have truly been able to glimpse the great outpouring of grace that marks not simply our God, but His people. While sick with Petra I was the beneficiary of great (although they may have seemed small to those doing them) acts of service, the Ladies of Midwestern Baptist Seminary are a wonder and have taught Will and I more about Christian community then any seminary class ever could. And have revealed the deep, deep love of Christ so clearly. Then when we moved to our new home and this Church revealed the same servants heart and willingness to serve. I once again saw the deep, deep love of Christ- and not just for us but for many others in the church. So please if someone asks to serve you, allow it watch and see that Your Lord is GOOD!

8) Serving--This may seem strange but it blesses my heart to be able to serve others. Now I know that often we don't allow people to do for us, it is simply against our nature of sin to do so, but every time someone allows me to serve them I am so blessed. I cannot explain it. I love seeing what happens when the Lord uses me.

9) Grace--Okay so maybe this one is first, but recognizing that the Lord is the one working and moving and changing and moulding and that I can do nothing. I have nothing to offer, it is so amazing! This has to be my most favorite! Just being able to embrace His work on the cross and know that it isn't different any day of my entire life! And it will be the same for eternity. Just wondrous!!! How can I explain it?

10) Liberty--Freedom in Christ is such a sweet blessing to my heart that drives me to the cross of Christ. Knowing that my personal holiness isn't an offering to God. I experience so much thankfulness and appreciation to Him who saves, sanctifies and glorifies. I cannot explain without several pages what freedom means to my heart, life, and mind. So much sweetness is contained here in. To know that I can have freedom in certain decisions and not fear. To know His sovereignty is incomprehensible. Just to recognize that it is for freedom He has set us free! Just listen to the great words of Galatians and marvel. Your works are nothing, His are everything.

No comments: