September 25, 2009

The Hypocrite in the Pulpit and Pew

Some time ago I wrote the following post for my ministry blog and since then it has gotten a fair amount of hits. So I thought it would be helpful on some level for our family, friends, and visitors who frequent this blog. I hope you find it encouraging ~ WD

“I have no desire to go to church and be with all those hypocrites!” Have you ever heard this statement or something very similar to it? My guess is you have. Probably so many times, just thinking about these words makes you want to vomit. What is your response when people say this? Maybe you just shake your head in disgust and walk away. Maybe you just completely shut down without another word. For those of you that desire to do more than shake your head or shut your mouth I encourage you to read on because we can say and do much more than that when people play the hypocrisy card.

The first thing we must tell someone who makes this statement is that they are very insightful for noticing the presence of hypocrites. In fact, every single one of us are hypocrites. Every pastor, every church member, and every person who says they don’t want to be with the hypocrites at church is a hypocrite. Every one of us has said we do such and such but there are times when we simply don’t. You may say that you are faithful in reading your bible every day, but on that one day you fall asleep just as you were preparing to do it you have officially become a hypocrite. Personally, I am okay with acknowledging my hypocrisy and you should be to. I don’t like my hypocrisy but if I refused to acknowledge it than I would be missing an opportunity (more on this in a second). We need to tell people they are right in their assessment of the presence of hypocrites in church, but we need to tell them that they, too, are just as hypocritical. The conversation might go something like this:
Joe: Go to church with you. No thanks, I know some of the people there and they are a bunch of hypocrites.
You: You must know everyone at church then?
Joe: What? No, I only know a few people there but the ones I do know say that they do this and that but I know for a fact they don’t always do that.
You: Well, Joe, based on how you describe a hypocrite, I don’t know anyone at church who isn’t a hypocrite. In fact, I, too, am a hypocrite.
Joe: I didn’t mean you, I meant some other people I know.
You: Well, now, you can count me in that number of hypocrites you know at my church.
Joe: I didn’t mean you, I really did mean some other people.
You: No matter what your opinion may be of me, Joe, I am a hypocrite and if you were honest you would have to acknowledge that you, too, are a hypocrite. We all say we are going to do certain things but then find ourselves doing the opposite. Wouldn’t you agree, Joe?
Joe: I never thought of it like that before but I think you have a point.

But our conversation should not and must not end there. The second thing we must do is explain that there is a difference between our hypocrisy and the other person’s hypocrisy. Here is the opportunity you have that I mentioned earlier. For a church-goer (and by this term I mean a church-goer that truly loves and lives for Christ), their occasional hypocrisy has no power to condemn them. As the apostle Paul says (quoting David from Psalm 32) in Romans 4:7-8 “Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, and whose sins are covered; blessed is the man against whom the Lord will not count his sin.” You see, the difference between a Christian and the one who pulls the hypocrisy card on that Christian is not that his or her hypocrisy is worse than the Christian’s. Rather, the Christian knows that their hypocrisy cannot condemn them because Christ’s death and resurrection was more than sufficient to secure their right standing before a Holy God. In Christ every believer’s hypocrisy has been forgiven. Does Joe have that same hope? Hopefully, the conversation can continue along these lines:
You: We all are hypocrites, Joe. The Bible calls this sin and we are all guilty sinners in the eyes of a Holy God. The only difference between you and me is that I am trusting that Jesus Christ’s death secured forgiveness for all my sin and that my hypocrisy will not condemn me. Do you have that hope for your hypocrisy, Joe?
Joe: I mean I think I am a pretty good person so I am just trusting in that.
You: Part of the reason there are so many hypocrites at church is because these hypocrites have realized that their good is only a mirage. The Bible says “no one does good.” Just read Romans 3:10-12. People are not good people, they are rebels, specifically rebelling against the One who made them. Your “good” is not what you think it is Joe and it definitely isn’t good enough to eradicate your hypocrisy. Only Christ can do that. That is why I am at church. I want to worship my Savior whose death has provided me forgiveness, not just for my hypocrisy but for all my sin.

This dialogue would never be possible if we choose to allow the comments of others to disgust us or discourage us. The best thing for us is to seize such an opportunity and be honest about ourselves, all the while being forthright about our Savior. I don’t want to be a hypocrite. I don’t rejoice in acknowledging my hypocrisy. I don’t set out to play the hypocrite. But, nevertheless, some days I am a hypocrite and I do rejoice in knowing that I won’t stand condemned by that hypocrisy. Instead, I will bow and worship as a forgiven hypocrite made a saint by the blood of Christ Jesus!

No comments: