January 23, 2012

One-ism or Two-ism?

While looking into Worldviews I came across an argument I had been thinking about more recently since I read the book Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton (BUY AND READ IT!!) where he argues that God made the creation distinct from Himself and He was not part of it, therefore an eternal and inoperable distinction exists that makes Him the creator and us the creation. I don't think that Chesterton fully fleshed out this argument (from my memory) but it was such a touching onto truth that it sat niggling at the back of my mind and mulling through my brain. Till the other morning while doing some research for my husbands class I came across this awesome article by Peter Jones which just baited my taste for more of this information got me to thinking. One or Two? Is it really that simple?



Martin Luther thought so, in his book about good works he wrote about the distinction between worship of God and worship of Idols. He even hinges his whole dissection on the 10 commandments on the separation between our actions toward God-creator- and our actions toward man-creation! Which had me thinking....as I looked back...definetly two!!

One- the idea that all things are inherently connected, cannot become separated. Creation is apart of God and God is not discernible distinctly in creation. I have even read christian authors expounding on an idea that tries to bring two into one, the idea that we have little glimpses of God in our day to day lives in viewing of creation. For example: the smile of my baby is a way to experience God. The quirks of my only, yet reliable vehicle, is a way to experience God. Even sexuality is a way to experience God or even less biblical: our relationship with God reflects on human sexuality. All our culture (which is unequivocally embracing the One-ism) is moving more into the mores of church orthodoxy and wants us to "blur the lines of truth". I don't think that these things are ways to experience God. am not convinced from the word that if I just looked harder at the tree outside my living room window I would see the wonder of God in the tree. God is not in a tree, that's pantheism. God is also not "in" the smile of my baby yet I can see the creative nature of God in the smile of my child and  in the nuances of a leaf, but I cannot have a spiritual experience because of those things. I can relate to God in ways spoken of in the bible; such as worship, prayer, sanctification, humility, affliction, education, godly confrontation, reading of the word, and to an extent fellowship, etc.

Two- make the distinction between creation and God and going even deeper good and evil. At the heart of the human experience is the truth that we are depraved and God is holy Righteous and without blemish. We are separate and distinct not just because of creation, but also because of the Fall. When we try to bring the whole of creator and creation together we begin to bring together the whole of good and bad and we end again at One (good example is yin and yang). This is also known as moral relativism which was one of the main reasons churches are so irrelevant in today's culture. Two is the only possible understanding of the realities of our world, unless we want to become something completely outside of biblical orthodoxy.

So this morning after watching a sermon by Mark Driscoll I also watched an excerpt from another one that really explains One-ism and Two-ism! So Please Go Watch this!! It's Really Very Wise!! And please think about the things you are embracing as truth, are they rooted in a distinction from God or a attempt to unite the Creator with the Creation! Please don't be seduced by a spirituality that is more Oprah than Bible...even if the person who is expounding it is in many respects solid, because lately I have seen some things from people who I know to be solid and I know if wiser minds than my own are tempted to embrace something extra biblical, I must watch my own heart and mind much closer!

No comments: