January 16, 2012

Journey Back 400 Years....




1519 bible.

Shackles from the 1600's.

heading over to Jamestown island, over the swamp.

300 year memorial monument from 1907.


Pocahontas at the entrance to fort Pocahontas.

17th century grave with a skull and cross bones--cheerful, huh?!

Model of the original fort built by John Smith and the others.

Rebuilt fort outline on the original site of the Jamestown fort of 1607.
Memorial Anglican Church also in background.
Current archaeology in foreground.

location of the barracks and also more of the fort border.

Statue of John Smith overlooking the James river.

Rebuilt barracks where the men lived while occupying Jamestown Island.

Anglican Church Memorial.
my husband and I took our children to see the original Jamestown settlement National park. We both stopped first at the reenactment of the Settlement, where we had been before, Will went in to check and see if we were in the right location, we weren't and we quickly discovered that the Jamestown we had always thought we had visited before wasn't really Jamestown! WOW! We were amazed!! And SOO excited to see the real thing!! It was really neat! Seeing where they originally landed and where the actually fort was, the swamp where they were stuck for that long period while they all starved and struggled. I could picture their problems. I could see them eating snakes from the surrounding swamp. I could imagine the fear and the isolation that was self imposed and forced by the Indians who themselves felt fearful. We watched the intro video with the kids and Gresham Asked me "So momma, who were the bad guys and who were the good guys?" I didn't know at first how to answer him, but finally I said "They we both good and bad in different ways." And at the end Silas asked me What happened between the Indians and the white peoples. "Well they fought, the whites wanted the land and the Indians wanted to protect the land." and his answer made me very sad. "and that's why all the Indians died, huh?" I looked at my son, sorry he lives in a world where his ancestors tried and almost successfully destroyed and entire people, so that he will not often encounter them. I desire now more than ever for the gospel to live in my children's hearts.

No comments: