May 04, 2010

My 5 Musts

As we all know I am a die hard reader. I think if you added up all the hours I spend with my head stuck in a book of some sort it would be pretty embarrassing. I don't even get in the car without a book, on the off chance I will end up waiting for someone or something and thinking to myself...."Man wish I had a book!" So since I love to read and have read a lot of books, here are five books I think you MUST read before you die!


Five books I think you should read all the way through before you die are................





We all probably know what my first recommendation will be. Yeah, I am also a die hard Bible Fan! So many people complain about inconsistencies in the bible or the total inaccuracies without ever having read it. They say it is totally unbelievable and totally irrelevant to their lives, when they have never cracked it open, much less read the entire thing! So I say, if you think you cannot complain about the president if you didn't vote, then you cannot complain about the Bible if you have never even read it! And I bet you heard that argument from someone else who never has read it either!




The second book I think every one should read is by Francine Rivers. All of her work is fabulous, but these five novellas especially are amazing. They are about women and so women will definitely identify well with these novellas, but they are also very applicable to men and I think everyone should read them once. It makes the bible come to life almost a nearly as a bible class can. You can almost smell the world of the Old Testament in these short books. All are wonderful and all are unique in that they reveal the human condition is the same over thousands of generations! You must read these!




My third book is a memoir of the wife of Richard Baxter, Margaret. I ordered this book online from a paperback sharing organization, based solely on the fact that it was Baxter and also Packer wrote the introduction. I never imagined to find such a jewel in this little and very poignant book. I have never seen the puritans as more human (I mean the English puritans since the American puritans make it hard to see than in any way but human!) here we find the struggle with the flesh and the Love of a man for his wife who even in her struggles still sought after Christ! And Hoe Baxter Loved her! Loved her so much this was his act of grief. To record their love story, but more than that their path through life alongside one another. Man this is loving one
another as Christ calls us to. LOVED this book!



My fourth recommendation is a book that I read in college and while I enjoyed it, I don't think I really understood it then. Now about 8 years later I have begun to revisit it and have found such a gem of christian life and truth that I don't know why I wasn't more astounded that this man was able to pen this book. I cannot figure whether he was able to understand these truths because of the era or simply because God gifted him at the right place at the right time. It is just amazing his understanding of the cost the gospel carries and the huge responsibility we have, if we are truly disciples, to follow Him totally! If you are a christian or even if you think you are a christian, you must read this!


My last recommendation is a classic of Christianity. The confessions of St. Augustine and while I don't agree with all the things that he says, obviously. Overall this man is still being printed for a reason! I mean seriously, he understood his own heart so transparently it's amazing! He wasn't afraid to reveal himself as a base and unrighteous person. He also wasn't afraid to trust the Lord in all things and at all times. Here is a book that must be read by anyone. Augustine wasn't playing at church. He wasn't pretending to follow after Christ for some unknown reason. He understood he had been ransomed from a very sinful life and therefore he dedicated his life to the service of Christ. Read it, Seriously!




There are several other books I want to recommend for everyone to read. I haven't read all that much, there is still so much left for me to read. I hope though that you join me in reading these gifted authors as they impart their wisdom to us. Obviously the bible is inspired of God, but the others have used their creative minds to His glory and I know if you read these books you cannot help but understand the glories of Calvary better and our God in a deeper manner than ever before!

No comments: