November 07, 2010

Numero Uno

I am often asked to describe the personalities of my children. I have often thought over who they are, even at such a young age, and figured that maybe it would be fun for them, when they grow up, to read the description that I have given to more than one individual. So although this is open for all to enjoy, this is for the treasures that I am currently borrowing.

When I think on the character of my son I see so much of the baby I knew. Many people don't agree that children are who they are from the very beginning, but I find that especially this little person is the same since that day over six years ago when I first met him.

He is a very sensitive individual and when I say sensitive I mean aware of others who are in need or upset. He is not sensitive to others actions towards him as much as I would like and often commits himself whole-heartedly only to be roughly rebuffed. We have often noted his singular ability to focus his attention on the people who need a soft word or a gentle touch. I have frequently been with him in a convience store, an ice cream shop or some such place and hoped (yes I still struggle with selfishness)for him not to talk to a certain person, but he usually does. Frequently reminding me how much we need to go to sick not the healthy. I remember a specific time we ran into a woman who had clearly been undergoing chemo treatments and out of the blue he walked up to her and said "You are SOO beautiful!" I was shocked to see her depressed face look instantly years younger. I remember often how we prayed that Silas would have a heart for people. We have often joked about the possiblity of him being taken advantage of, but this trait is a blessing and we feel it often.

He is very active and has a hard time with attention. This boys stamina brings my own to shame. He is tenacious to a degree one is glad to see so long as they are not the one attempting to contain that tenacity. He also has great fun in making others laugh. He likes to play jokes, much in the way his father plays jokes. Both of them have a hard time making jokes that are intended for everyones entertainment and not just their own, but it is this jokester attitude that always understands our sarcastic or outlandish statements to our children. He never believes me when I tell them I will tie them to the luggage rack by their toes.

He loves art. This little boys fancies himself a bonafide artist and I actually believe that he will one day make that a reality since he just assumes it to be the truth today. I actually have to limit his time in "creating" things. He draws, paints, and makes collages. All very colorful, but never in the lines--not at all like his mom--I might add. Will says  he will be a modern artist. Right now his obsession is monsters and aliens.

This little boy struggles with ease and comfort and loves movies and video game. Which is why he rarely gets to play with these items. He has a hard time buckling down to things like math, when it is more focus work--while he loves reading, history and science because they are not so much sit still and work through it systematically. He is good at math though even when he wishes to deny it.

He is definately more aware of his responsibly as the eldest brother more than his other siblings are aware of their own responsibility to their younger brother or sister. That may be our pressure on him, but I also think he likes the role of eldest brother.

But this boy, Numero Uno (as we call him since he understand when we spell his name outloud now--it's his code name), is my first baby. The first to scare our parental hearts with a life threatening disease, the first to read, the first to say "I love you momma!", the first to teach me what parenting really looks like and I would never have chosen another person to grow through this experience with, as he is a joy to watch and guide and even hear tell me, "Even when you yell at me momma, I still love you." Humility is freely dispersed in  my relationship with this little boy.

No comments: