September 11, 2010

Adventures in History


Those of you who know me well, understand how much I enjoy history! Well I was able (because we are homeschooling this year) to take an afternoon and drive along Richmond's old civil war track. We visited Cold Harbor Battle field, saw where general grant was stationed, the old Union and Confederate fortifications, as well as Chickahominy Bluffs and the Battle site of the Beaver creek. We also visited another battle field, but didn't snap any photos. Cold Harbour was by far the most fascinating, but they were all so well preserved. I can still imagine the soldiers walking through the brush and woods. Fording the swaps with their muskets and Laying prone on the ground. Somehow these old battle fields seem to carry the weight of the massacres that disrupted their serenity.


Actual trenches built by the confederate army, 1862.

More original trench mounds.

Site of the battle of beaver dam creek along the old cold harbor road track.

My handsome men, three of them at least. :D

Who cares about history, mom, when there are turtles in the beaver dam creek?!

This is just free viewing for all you who are wondering where my girl went! She sure is a beauty, if I do say so myself!

No comments: