September 26, 2010

WOW***WOW***WOW

We drove to Appomattox Court House today and WAS IT COOL! We walked down this totally period street to the old (well the rebuilt in 1892) court house and then down the main street. Almost directly across from the original mercantile was the house where Grant and Lee signed the unconditional surrender of the Southern Forces on Palm Sunday in 1865! WOWIE! Now I am not normally weird about being where someone famous has been--but seeing that room looking almost identical to nearly everything I have seen in history books, was like walking into a room which Grant and Lee had just walked out of. I was so excited to be able to walk into that room! See the ORIGINAL tables and the reproduction of it all and then to see out side the slave quarters which were at one time, sadly, occupied. I was wondering, yes while being blown away by the idea of being where Grant and Lee had been, why so many Confederates had devoted so much time and engery to such a horrendous practice. I just have to say that it was one of the coolest places I have ever been in my whole life--barring my visit to England (it has to take the cake, sorry guys!)--just so iconic in the American ideology. So if you live anywhere in  America, go see some history and enjoy the excitement of being somewhere that is probably insignificant in its own right and yet has some kind of cool event thrust upon it! Man I WISH I could see the pyramids! Maybe someday!

note: Lee sat at the marble top table and Grant at the spindle legged table, tables and furniture are original, house and carpet reproductions. Super cool though, even if that was found out after we were back in the car. This picture isn't mine its off the free-wikipedia database and yes it is allowed to be shared. I forgot my camera :(

No comments: