January 24, 2013

We Profess to Be Strangers and Yet We Settle Down in the Most Un-stranger Like Fashion

“If we were less of what seems like ease in our lives they would tell more for Christ and souls...We profess to be strangers and pilgrims, seeking after a country of our own, yet we settle down in the most un-stranger-like fashion, exactly as if we were quite at home and meant to stay as long as we could. I don't wonder apostolic miracles have died. Apostolic living certainly has.” —Amy Carmichael 




A few questions I would ask about my sense of comfort desires would begin with the approval of man. 

1) Do I seek the approval of man above the approval of God?

2) Do I please people more than God?
3) Do I cling to people more than God?

A few More I would ask about my being "American"...Because lets face it, we are total comfort hogs who are addicted to the America way as embodied in the American Way! 


1) Do I seek my own comfort above the gospel?

2) Do I desire my rewards (wealth, comfortable lifestyle, health,etc) more here than the rewards of the Kingdom?
3) Have I really sold everything to buy that field Jesus speaks of in Matthew? 

 I know that it's hard to shake the enchantments of our culture and we are a product of our environment, so we are deep down americans, but we must be Christians before we are anything! After Jesus shares the parable of the Rich young ruler with the disciples Peter asks him something I find profound Like "Okay, Jesus, we did all that, so whats gonna happen for us, I mean we gave up all things to follow you and look at us now, we are not doing anything fancy or spectacular, in fact this beggars life kinda stinks!" But we see that Jesus understands and he tell him this... 



27 Then Peter responded to Him, “Look, we have left everything and followed You. So what will there be for us?”
Jesus said to them, “I assure you: In the Messianic Age,when the Son of Man sits on His glorious throne, you who have followed Me will also sit on 12 thrones, judging the 12 tribes of Israel.  And everyone who has left houses, brothers or sisters, father or mother, children, or fields because of My name will receive 100 times more and will inherit eternal life. 30 But many who are first will be last, and the last first. Matt 19.

so it's a pretty good bet, we will have our reward in heaven if in fact we are slaves here below. (I am not saying that most disciples will have thrones like the 12, but you get my drift, I hope!)

No comments: