March 15, 2009

Reposting: Parenting Resources

This was first posted last spring after I spoke for a group, these books though are still my favorites on motherhood, parenting, and our role as home-keepers. I hope it benefits!

I was lucky enough to have the great privilege of speaking at a local MOPS group for a friend of mine on campus. We discussed the reasons for discipline, whether or not the Lord disciplines and how he disciplines, what is the heart of discipline and how we're to get at it. It was a wonderful time of learning and transparency on my part especially since whenever I share on this subject I am brought lower because of my own weakness in this area. So when others ask me "I just seem to yell all the time." I can honestly say that I yell at my kids too. They often hear "What are you doing??!!" with a large dose of impatience and anger mixed together. I can honestly speak to this topic of discipline because it is always happening in my home and in my heart. Very often when I rebuke my son for impatience with his brother, in my heart I am rebuked by the Spirit for my own impatience and lack of love for the members of my family. At the end of the evening I went over several books that I had brought with me to recommend to these wonderfully real women. I decided to make a list here and post it for everyone's benefit and reference.



Teach the Diligently By Lou Priolo

If for no other reason you must buy this book for the charts and indexes in the back of the book. Definitely family changing and informational, great tool!










Withhold Not Correction by Bruce Ray

A good publication by Presbyterian and reformed publishing that is a great encouragement to continue being diligent in shepherding your children toward the Savior.






The Mother at Home By John S.C. Abbott

Great and practical ideas and encouragements and even rebukes in teaching children what is right and who is the Lord. Very good just a chapter at a time when you need some much needed encouragement and fuel to continue this season.








Shepherding a Child's heart By Tedd Tripp

Okay, so this is probably the best parenting book out on the market today! You have to read this very wise and very gentle minister to know that his words are truly guided by wisdom, grounded in scripture and centered on the cross. You must have this book in your own personal book collection and you must read it. There are also videos you can purchase which are so profitable and encouraging even for the price, which is a little much, but well worth it!!! Great, great book!!







Where's Mom: The High Calling of Wives and Mothers by Dorothy Kelly Patterson

This book is super short and super encouraging. Mrs Patterson is such a wise woman and very clear on the role of a woman and her invaluable importance in the home. It was such a good balm to my heart which is often discouraged, especially at times of weakness. Get it, read it, profit from it!







"Don't Make Me Count to Three!" BY Ginger Plowman

This book was recommended to me by a very close and trusted friend, who has been such an encouragement to me in my mothering, and is probably my favorite of all because she is so funny and easy to read and very real and practical. Now it does need to be often reread because our memories are so short so often and it takes a long time for truths of scripture to become truths in our everyday lives. This book is wonderful, even for a father who needs some good advice and encouragement.







Wise Words for Moms By Ginger Plowman

This is a chart of all the sins our children basically have, us too for that matter, with heart probing questions and also scriptures to reference to your children. Very pithy and essential. Great buy for a small price.







My ABC Bible Verses By Susan Hunt

As I have recommended before this book is wonderful in family devos, but also in reinforcing the truths you have already been planting. Great scriptures to get to the heart of your child and you! Read and enjoy the cutting that His word will do in your heart and your child's.







Peacemaking for Families By Ken Sande and Tom Raabe

This book, which I have only read a little of, is a guide to resolving conflict in the home. Between husband and wife, parents and children, brothers and sisters. It is a good way of giving us a godly way to argue and disagree without sin and more importantly with repentance and forgiveness. Read it!








Later I will add a list of books that we have worked though as a family in our devotionals. We have had some great times going through some neat books! Have a great afternoon!

Blessings!

No comments: