September 26, 2008

and it happened to me....

Okay so I have been practicing taking my kids out in public alone. Before you start gasping, think on how difficult it is to take four kids, under 5, out to the grocery store all at one time, a goal I would like to reach with out having a horrible melt down in the check out aisle. So needless to say, taking my three boys and little girl out is a big step for me and something I need to continue practicing until we get good at being out and in control of ourselves (me included!). I went on a trial run to the post office, since I figure that would be shorter and have all the essential temptations that the grocery or general store affords to little hands.

They did beautifully (we had debriefing before and after which always helps), they were not the funny part though. I walked in the store with all four, even without a stroller (strollers are hard to get into the Post Office) and an older woman came in close behind me and began talking to my boys.


"Wow, you must be busy!" She gawked at my children.

"Ah, no, not at all!" I quipped, smiling because I thought it warranted a little humor, this is a very common comment that we get, with or without little Petey. Then I turned around waiting for my turn. She then got my attention again.

"I am sorry," She looked like she thought she had offended me. "But I thought you had a daycare or were baby sitting."

I looked at her surprised, "No, they are all mine." I was honestly shocked!!


I have heard of other people getting this line of conversation, but never actually had it happen to me. My boys look so much alike I never imagined people would assume I have a day care, four kids are nothing compared to many others that I know. I spent the rest of the time there listening to her and another older couple commentating on me and the behavior of my children and the reality that yes I do have four children under 5.

I came home and told Will about it and then we had a discussion of children in our culture that was a continuation of one we had had with some friends from church after service on Sunday. I think I will let him comment on that as he is better gifted to be grace-filled then I have a tendency to be, but I thought this event was pretty funny and it made me laugh. I was sorry afterward that she thought I was actually offended, I was simply surprised! Makes me wonder what will happen when we are ready for the grocery store not with the boys but with other people.

No comments: