October 13, 2009

Jesus Is Not Ashamed I'm His Brother



Does your family ever embarrass you? If you are like me, your "Yes!!" answer was more an involuntary reaction than a well thought out response. I mean, who needs time to contemplate the obvious. Nearly all of us have cousins or uncles that we are sure were adopted into the family. Perhaps, some of us have even wondered about relatives a little closer to our own branch on the family tree.


The truth, however, is that all of us have been an embarrassment to somebody at some time. When sinners sin it is always embarrassing to somebody. Being a sinner is a shameful thing BUT for all those sinners who have been made saints we have reason to hold our heads high.


Hebrews 2:11 says that Jesus is "not ashamed to call them brothers and sisters". "Them" the context tells us are "the ones who have been sanctified". This means Jesus calls every believer his brother or sister. He does not roll His eyes at the thought of me. He has not proposed any conspiracy theory about the "adoption agency" that made me a part of His family. He has not (and never will!!) deny that I am His brother. Nor is He at all ashamed about this fact. Despite the everpresent truth that I do much that is shameful, He is not ashamed that I am His brother.


Now, I could end the post at this most encouraging of realities but there are two things I don't want you to miss. First, if Jesus is not ashamed of me or any other believer, what right do I have to be ashamed of the siblings His death made possible. Now, I am not talking about unconverted church-goers. They are no more my relation than an anthiest. I am talking about genuine brothers and sisters in Christ. If Jesus says they are His siblings than who am I to treat them any different! Do we really treat other believers as brothers and sisters? Do we really view the church as one big family? If we don't, we must. Secondly, this word "ashamed" is the exact same word used by the Apostle Paul in Romans 1:16. If you don't quite remember what this verse says, take the time look it up. Are you "ashamed of the Gospel", the very message of the One who is "not ashamed" to call you His brother? I wish it were true that we could honestly say that we are not ashamed of the message of our Brother who is not ashamed of us. But the sad truth is that our lives often reflect the embarrassing reality that we are ashamed. If this is true of you don't be discouraged. Simply repent. Turn to your Brother Jesus and know that he will forgive you not disown you. After all, that's what true brothers do.

No comments: